Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Real World...Palm Bay

How fitting that on the day that three of my favorite reality shows came on back to back (So You Think You Can Dance, Project Runway and Run's House), that my day would be fitting for my own reality show. I really felt like someone would have been pretty entertained if they were watching me get through my day.

First off, I have not had my cell phone since Sunday. My parents kept the kids over the weekend so we could get some DEEEP cleaning done. (It was VERY productive, by the way...we shampooed the carpet, de-cluttered and cleaned/organized the kitchen cabinets so they were 'TJ and Olivia-proofed'). When we picked the kids up on Sunday evening, I left my cell phone in one of their cars...and that is the car that my dad drove up to his office in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a little less than 3 hours from my house here in Palm Bay. I was just thinking today how I haven't really missed not having a cell phone...

Well I get in my car after work to go pick up the kids and my tire pressure light was on!! Arrrrrgh! I was able to make it to the school on time despite the pouring down rain as we are definitely in our rainy season here in Florida. When I got to the school I called Terry and told him the situation and let him know which way I was going home so if I wasn't there in an hour he could come looking for us...two 18 months olds, a rain storm and a flat tire would have not been a good combination. I took an alternate way home to avoid the interstate just in case I got a flat tire...and of course it took me 20 extra minutes...which is exactly why that is not my route of choice to get home.

About halfway home I noticed that there was a mosquito in the car. So, here I am stuck in traffic fanning my kids that are in the backseat with some of their artwork that they made that day so they wouldn't get bitten by a mosquito and get the west nile virus. While am fanning like a mad woman, TJ and Olivia are laughing hysterically! They were laughing as if I was actually trying to entertain them! Go figure.

We got home safely and I proceeded to take Olivia's braids out because apparently she decided to dump the whole sandbox in her hair today at school. I must have washed her hair 5 or 6 times because I kept feeling grains of sand. I had to drain the bathtub 3 times because of all of the sand on the bottom of the tub.

As we were all watching So You Think You Can Dance in the family room after dinner and baths, we suddenly heard a 'velcro' type of sound. We looked on the floor and realized that Olivia was sitting on the floor playing with her diaper that she had apparently sat right in front of us and pulled off! She is REALLY into dressing herself, but has recently started pulling her pampers off. She was sitting right on our newly shampooed floor with a bare behind! You should have seen our faces. I scooped her up SO QUICK and ran to the changing table to get a diaper back on her. After it was all over we thought about how much of a mess it would have been if she would have had a "poopy pamper" on . .

So anyway, that was my day. We ended up having a fantastic evening together as a family and everyone (except me) is now asleep. I think I'll do the same...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, lordy - what a day.

I should have been waiting for a call from your dad. You know, since you like to accidentally call me, surely it could happen to him, too.

I'm convinced I'm going to get West Nile or encephalitis or malaria or any number of diseases from the mosquitos in our backyard. Yes, of course I survived 20 some odd years living in Florida without contracting anything, but that's just how I roll.

Olivia's got moxie.

Unknown said...

Ok, so I'm talking to Star today and she tells me about your love of SYTYCD and PR! She then tells me that you're linked to her blog, so I HAD to comment! I LOVE SYTYCD & PR! Plus, I forgot about Run's House even though I watched the marathon on Sunday! Ugh! So, Comfort and Gev go home this week, Will and Josh never have to wear a shirt!

Good luck with those pampers! Sounds like you've got your hands full! Hey, you know you'll always be fast :-)