Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Random thoughts...

1. I think my new favorite show is Celebrity Family Feud. The most recent Family Feud (before this particular version) was one of the only shows that I would make a point of watching during my maternity leave and now it is on PRIME TIME! Al Roker does a fantastic job of hosting and you get to see the families (real and on TV) of the celebrities that we all know and love. That's all I have to say about that.

2. I am sick. I think it is some secret initiation of all parents who put their children in daycare. Olivia, who has never really gotten sick before, came home within the first 4 days of school with a runny nose and of course TJ did as well as he catches EVERYTHING. That is fine…I keep telling myself that it is good for their immune system. HOWEVER COMMA…I really was not expecting to get sick as my immune system is fine. Always has been. I don't really ever get sick…nor am I a medicine taker. On Saturday it just hit me all of a sudden. I had this amazing pressure in my head…a really bad headache…and a really sore throat. Luckily we all were in DeBary at my parents so I didn't leave Terry alone to fend for himself with the kiddos…I was literally in bed from Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon (except to drag myself in and out of the shower). I had to miss their 18 month checkup (which I will get to later) AND a day of work because of this "mysterious daycare virus". It is now Wednesday afternoon and I am still suffering, however I have made wonderful friends with "Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain SEVERE". Now my voice sounds really deep and my body is trying to recover from several days of not eating anything except for a banana and a handful of grapes. NOT FUN. Despite this I had to pick the kids up yesterday and take care of them by myself until Terry got home at 10:30-ish from the gym. It was rough, but I said a prayer before I picked up the kids and asked God to get me through those couple of hours until Terry got home. My mother (who had come on Monday night to help out) cooked an amazing dinner before she left that afternoon and had it waiting for me and the kids so when I got home I really didn’t' have to do much of anything except heat the food up and feed them, give them their baths and get them to bed. My prayers were answered:) I did get a little sick feeling, but it was only b/c I am not used to taking medicine so I had let the meds wear off:( But as soon as I reloaded I was fine!

3. So they had their 18th month checkup on Monday. They are both in the 100th %-ile for height (I've always said they were giants), however TJ is only in the 50th %-ile for weight. The doctor apparently asked Terry about his diet to make sure we weren't depriving him of any key nutrients that would be causing him not to gain weight like he 'should' be. Now let's all pause…and think about his grandfather and father. I wish I could have been there with a picture of my dad (6'8", barely 240, maybe) and of course Terry (6'6", barely 230) …aka "the poster boys for tall and skinny"…and asked him if he REALLY thought the boy stood a chance in that category. I am THROUGH stressing about every single concern the doctor brings up…it's called GENETICS folks!

Okay, off of my soapbox. I think that's all that's on my mind right now.

3 comments:

Star said...

I don't understand how the doctor could be concerned. I mean, did he not see Terry standing there all tall and skinny? Dang!

Unknown said...

Ok, seriously, how could a doctor look at TJ and think for a second that he is somehow remotely "abnormal" or unhealthy? That's just crazy talk. And, yes, clearly you guys are feeding him a steady diet of tapeworms and paint chips. Good grief.

I hope you're feeling better now. Yeah, I understand day care is a petri dish. But just think of the even more amazing immune system you're going to have! I mean...

I might have to TiVo Celebrity Family Feud.

Unknown said...

OH - and yeah, genetics. Your kids have the tall and thin genes. My kids will have short, squat, and prone to diabetes and heart disease genes. Awesome!