Thursday, April 10, 2008

What a difference a year makes...

It's so interesting that during the first 365 days of the twins' lives we were extra anal about dirt. (It was probably more so ME being anal…I do admit that). EVERYTHING that fell on the floor had to be washed off. With hot water. NO food that touched anything but the spoon and the bowl made it to their mouths. If their faces were not washed first with the washcloth, I would get a new one instead of using the dirty washcloth that had been used to bathe their body…

Ohhhhhhh, but on day 366 things changed…

The three second rule for food is in FULL effect at the Parks house. Peas, carrots, chicken (etc) that touch the floor are fair game now. I do not dive for Olivia's mouth every time she picks up some random particle off of the carpet and sticks it in her mouth. And what solidified my new approach on this was what happened last night. I was bathing Miss Olivia. I turn around to grab the bottle of soap off of the sink, turn back around and she is literally drinking her bath water. I mean. It took all that I had not to bust out laughing. I literally had to use two hands to lift up her entire body because she was so focused on slurping the bath water. Apparently Johnson's baby lotion tastes pretty good as well, because she goes on an all out lick of anything that the lotion touches. You end up rubbing in lotion and her saliva when lotioning her after a bath. .

I also noticed a difference when Terry mentioned that TJ had a fever yesterday. I felt his head and didn't feel anything at first, but then noticed that he was extremely hot to the touch. By that time Terry had gone to the driving range. I could not, however, find a thermometer. Now last year, I would have sent Terry an emergency text saying that he MUST leave the driving range IMMEDIATELY and go to the store for this thermometer!!! But not this year! I calmly sent a text message for him to pick one up on the way home and proceeded to get a cold compress for him in the meantime. (Luckily I took that approach, b/c I finally found the thermometer which saved us a few bucks. ) His temperature was 100.5, so I gave him some Tylenol and everything was good.

I think I'm catching on to this motherhood thing…I'm sure Terry's blood pressure couldn’t be happier!

3 comments:

Star said...

Excellent story. Good job on calming down. Kids are pretty durable. I mean if Davon can survive me as a babysister, then kids are pretty tough. I wonder why Oliva wants to eat everything? That is hilarious.

Unknown said...

I am cracking up. You know, there's nothing more refreshing than a mouthful of bath water.

Sarah Armstrong said...

So there is hope after all!! I am a natural worrier - which doesn't always mesh well with parenting. There's so much that can go wrong! I am encouraged that time can heal some psychotic tendencies!! :) Glad you are blogging - I look foward to reading! The twins are adorable!