Monday, June 16, 2008

1st day of…school?

So, I knew that the day would come when I would be nervous about the twins' first day of school…I just never realized that it would come so soon! The kids officially started Brevard Community College Montessori school today at 17 1/2 months. A few years before I had always anticipated that's for sure. With the cost of gas reaching $4+ a gallon, it became obvious that it was not longer cost efficient to commute 200 miles a day (round trip) in order for my mom to keep my babies. I would not have done it any other way…as I was able to come back to work full time at 8 weeks without having to worry about sending my infants to a stranger. Now that they are running/climbing and attempting to babble I feel a little more comfortable with sending them to childcare. We really have a great situation, as the Montessori school shares the parking lot with the BCC gymnasium, where Terry's office is:) He can literally walk across the parking lot to check on them…and he will be!!!! I really feel good about the school. There are not a lot of toddlers in the room, very nice teachers, and overall a great atmosphere. There are actually 3 other sets of twins (1 set of twin boys in the toddler room; a boy/girl set of twins and an identical girl set of twins in the older room). Terry took them for a 'dry run' on Friday to see how they would do and they said TJ was trying to kiss on of the twin boys. He is such a loving little kid. Olivia, as always, was anything but shy. Both apparently had a wonderful time.

Anyway, we got all of their stuff together this weekend. Diapers, wipes, boxes of tissue, sheets and blankets for naptime, 2 changes of clothes in Ziploc bags, 3 snacks for each child in individual Ziploc bags, and lunch. Whew! Mom and Dad came by last night to help get everything together…well, actually to braid Olivia's hair so she wasn't looking like "Donna King" as we like to say. I was able to feed them and get everything together and packed in the car before I left for work. Terry was able to get the kids dressed and loaded up in the car. Terry called when he was leaving the school to say that they did great! They did not shed one tear! (I can't say the same about myself! I prayed the ENTIRE way to work!) I also got an e-mail from the school to say that they were there safely…so that was nice. I'm sure that everything will be fine.

I will continue this blog later to let you know for sure!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - "Donna King" - bwahahah!

Alyssa referenced TJ by saying hi to her shadow the other day.

I would like to carry both of them around in my pocket because they are too cute for words.