Monday, May 12, 2008

Brush Fires

Happy Mother's Day! It has been an eventful Mother's Day to say the least. It started out like any other Mother's Day/Sunday...waking up with the kids, feeding them breakfast, going to church, etc. The kids, as always, were a bundle of energy. We didn't do anything extra special for Mother's Day...I opted not to go out to dinner because I didn't want to deal with my energetic children in the midst of the Mother's Day crowds in the restaurants. I chose to go home and "relax" (yeah right!).

Well about mid-afternoon we started seeing news about the interstate being closed that is a few miles from our house. Basically they were not allowing traffic to go south starting at our exit. We didn't make a big deal out of it because there have been so many brush fires lately in Florida because it's so dry. Well a few hours later, Terry came out of our bedroom telling me that he saw flames!!!!! They were not in our backyard, but they were close enough to worry. Needless to say we did not wait for anyone to tell us that we needed to evacute. The last thing we needed was to have two crying children in traffic in the middle of the night running from a brush fire. We called 911 to see if they had the brush fire under control and they said they did...however we just watched the local news where they said that the fire fighters in our city were not able to pull in additional resources because there are so many brush fires in our area right now. They said policeman were pulling out water hoses in the name of 'helping them out'. (What?! Really?! Water Hoses?!...riiiight, THAT makes me feel a lot better!) I am GLAD we didn't listen to the 911 dispatcher!

Anyway, we are at my parents house, which is where we spend the better part of the week anyway since my Mom watches my kids while I am at work. Since we live out of suitcases it wasn't that difficult to pack, which is a good thing. I grabbed a few photo albums, but that's about it. It's funny how at the beginning of every hurricane season, I think about what I would grab if we had to evacuate. B.T. (before twins) I imagined that I'd grab as much as I could that would fit into my car in the name of 'saving important' items from hurricane damage. Well, that scenario came to life this evening and the only things I really cared about was getting Terry, TJ and Olivia out of harm's way. I grabbed a few of their baby albums, but I honestly could have grabbed so much more. There is a good chance that I could wake up tomorrow morning without a house (well, we still do own a condo in Melbourne....) and there is nothing in that house right now that I regret not grabbing. Funny how that works. I'll keep you posted. Happy Mother's Day!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yikes! I hope the police with water hoses got everything under control. Maybe they'll also call in the neighborhood kids to use their Super Soakers and the old lady down the street to get out her watering can.

I'm glad you're all safe.

And I wish you a Happy (belated)Mother's Day!